A tick bite gave me a bizarre and deadly allergy to beef, lamb and pork – so WHY can I still eat McDonald’s cheeseburgers without a care in the world, asks ELIZA McPHEE
- I developed the mammalian meat allergy after being bitten by a tick at 14
- I can’t eat beef, lamb or pork – but I am able to have McDonald’s cheeseburgers
- My allergy developed into deadly anaphylaxis and I now require an epi-pen
- Other symptoms include breaking out in a full-body rash with major hives
- Allergy specialists say reactions can depend on how the meat is cooked
I’d always loved meat growing up – sausage sandwiches, lamb cutlets and of course, Christmas ham.
So I was far from thrilled when I discovered that I had developed an allergy to red meat at the age of 14.
I had been bitten by a tick and developed what is now known as a mammalian meat allergy, which saw me develop the…