Tragic twist in death of toddler, 2, who died just hours after he was circumcised – as his baby brother is recovering from the same procedure
- Two-year-old boy had an allergic reaction to medication after the procedure
- The toddler was pronounced dead before he arrived an the emergency unit
- His little brother had emergency surgery for post-operative bleeding
- Do you know more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
A two-year-old boy who tragically died after a circumcision had an allergic reaction to medication after surgery, doctors have revealed.
The toddler and his baby brother were discharged from Gosnells Medical Centre, in Perth’s southeastern suburbs, after undergoing the same procedure on Tuesday.
An employee at the clinic told Daily Mail Australia there were no complications immediately after the operation, but the situation took a dire turn later that night.
At about 6.30pm, paramedics raced the little boys from friend’s home in Seville Grove to Armadale Hospital.
The two-year-old boy had an allergic reaction after being circumcised on Tuesday (stock image)
An employee at Gosnells Medical Clinic (pictured) told Daily Mail Australia there were no complications immediately after the operation
It is believed the two-year-old had a reaction to anesthetic or medication and was pronounced dead before he arrived at the emergency department, The West Australian reported.
The younger boy, believed to be about seven or eight months old, suffered post-operative bleeding and was in intensive care overnight.
He is now in a stable condition.
WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson described the situation as ‘tragic’.
‘There will be detectives involved in this matter and they will compile a report which will go to the State Coroner,’ he said on Thursday.
A spokeswoman from St John Ambulance told Daily Mail Australia the toddler was in a ‘critical condition’
‘This medical procedure took place at an authorised medical facility … it appears that this is a very tragic case.’
A spokeswoman from St John Ambulance told Daily Mail Australia the toddler was in a ‘critical condition’ when emergency workers arrived.
‘He was taken from a home to Armadale Hospital,’ she said.
Detectives worked with the family to complete a report for the coroner.