A legal assistant was left momentarily blind after dodgy eyelash extensions scratched her eyeballs – and she’s now too petrified to ever touch any false lashes again.
Zowie Kinnea, 31, from Bournemouth, Dorset, was left with eye balls ‘scratched to pieces’ when a dodgy beautician took three hours to wrongly apply lashes extensions to her waterline, the line of skin between the eyelashes and the eye.
The legal assistant had to be rushed to the A&E by her boyfriend after her eyes began to swell shut because of the stinging pain, and found the lashes had scratched her cornea.
While she has recovered her eyesight since, Zowie is now very sensitive to light and has to wear sunglasses indoors.
Now feeling like ‘less of a woman’ after the ordeal, Zowie is too scared to wear lashes again, and wants to share her story so that younger girls don’t make the same mistake.
Zowie Kinnea, 31, from Bournemouth, Dorset, pictured, was left with eye balls ‘scratched to pieces’ when a dodgy beautician took three hours to wrongly apply lashes extensions to her waterline during a painful appointment
The legal assistant’s eye swelled shut, pictured, because the false eyelashes had been wrongly applied leaving her in excruciating pain
Zowie – who has regained vision, but has to wear sunglasses due to sensitivity – said: ‘I feel like less of a woman.
‘I used to wear lashes a lot, but I don’t wear them anymore. I’m just too scared.’
Zowie found the lash beautician on Facebook, and to add insult to injury, she was overcharged for the treatment when the technician, who treated her at her home, refused to hand over her £20 change.
But worse was to come, when Zowie started experiencing problems with her vision.
The appointment took three hours and was painful, which was a tell-tale sign something was going wrong, Zowie admitted in hindsight
It was not the first time the legal assistant, pictured, had false eyelashes done, but the bad experience has left her scared to try them again
Her eyes swelled shut after the treatment as they fought to protect themselves from the onslaught of scratching.
She said: ‘It felt like someone was stabbing my eyeballs.
‘I was looking in the mirror and I could barely open my eyes.
‘When I opened my eyes, the only way I can describe it is as if somebody had put gel in my eyes. It was agony.
Zowie revealed her boyfriend, left, rushed her to A&E the morning after her appointment that left her in excruciating pain. The legal assistant, right, wants to warn other women about the dangers of picking a dodgy beautician
Doctors struggled to open Zowie’s eyes because they became swollen shut due to the pain, pictured
‘I’m normally quite good with pain but I was in tears because it was so painful.’
Her boyfriend rushed her to A&E near their home the morning after the treatment.
Doctors struggled to open Zowie’s eyes due to how swollen they were.
A&E doctors used specialist equipment to open Zowie’s eyes and apply yellow dye into them to see just how badly she was scratched.
She said: ‘I had bright yellow dye put in and they said my eyes were scratched to pieces.
‘When I came out of the hospital I started being sick. I started coughing up all this yellow stuff that they’d put in my eye.
The glamourous legal assistant said the unnamed beautician refused to refund or to apologise after the ordeal
Zowie, pictured before, said she feels like less of a woman after the ordeal, and won’t try false lashes again
‘I didn’t know what was going on – there was just yellow stuff coming out of my nose and my mouth.
‘It was horrific. I thought I was going blind and dying.’
Doctors said they could not treat Zowie and advised her that she needed to return to the beautician immediately and have the dodgy lash extensions removed.
However, she said the beautician – unphased by the shock hospital trip – claimed she was too busy to help.
Zowie had no choice but to keep her eyes shot but she bought a kit online and dissolve the lashes’ glue herself the next day.
She said she experienced blurred vision for two weeks after removing them.
To rub salt in the wound, she said the beautician didn’t apologise or offer a refund.
The 31-year-old, pictured on a night out before the incident, now has to wear sunglasses indoors because her eyes are sensitive to light
Zowie, pictured with her boyfriend before, said picking a lash technician you can trust is paramount
Zowie now wants to warn young girls about the dangers of lashes and picking a technician you can trust.
Her eyeballs are hypersensitive to light as a result of the ordeal and she finds herself wearing sunglasses indoors.
For her, the warning signs were the appointment taking three hours, as opposed to the usual 45 minutes, and being in intense pain during the treatment.
Despite the technician assuring her intense stinging was normal, Zowie now knows having lash extensions put on shouldn’t hurt that much.
The appointment took so long that her boyfriend started to panic that she had been kidnapped and knocked on the door.
She has since bought strip lashes, but can’t bring herself to put them on and doesn’t think she will ever wear any type of false eyelashes again.