Family doctor, 77, who laughed off accusations he raped and sexually assaulted up to 15 patients including a girl, 16, walks free after all charges are sensationally dropped
- Family doctor laughed off rape charges against him as ‘stupid’ outside court
- Con Kyriacou was charged with 34 offences including against a 16-year-old girl
- The alleged offences were said to have happened between 1981 and 2003
- On Thursday prosecutors dropped all charges against the aging doctor
A trusted former family doctor who once laughed and labelled a series of rape and indecent assault charges against him ‘stupid’ has walked free.
Con Kyriacou, 77, was charged with 34 offences including the rape and indecent assault of patients, including a 16-year-old girl, back in 2019.
The offences were alleged to have happened at the Balwyn North man’s Hawthorn clinic between 1981 and 2003.
Scroll down for video
Trusted family doctor Con Kyriacou laughed off rape and indecent assault charges against him as ‘stupid’ after facing court for the first time in 2019
Kyriacou was charged with 34 offences including the rape and indecent assault of patients, including a 16-year-old girl
On Thursday, Victoria’s Director of Public Prosecutions Kerri Judd directed the case against Dr Kyriacou be dumped.
Prosecutor Abbie Roodenburg offered no explanation for the dramatic backflip.
Dr Kyriacou was not present on the County Court of Victoria virtual link to see all 34 charges against him had been discontinued.
The elderly doctor had been confident at his first court appearance in the Melbourne Magistrates Court in January 2019.
He told reporters then that the allegations by 15 women were ‘stupid’.
Prosecutors had sought more time to compile the evidence against Dr Kyriacou, noting there was potential for further victims to come forward.
The brief against him had included 29 counts of indecent assault and two charges of rape.
He was also facing two charges of sexual penetration of a child who was 16, and one charge of indecently assaulting the same girl.
The former doctor was also being pursued by the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency which first received the allegations against him in 2016
The former doctor was also being pursued by the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency which first received the allegations against him in 2016.
‘We have recently received new complaints from former patients of Dr Kyriacou which we are now investigating,’ an AHPRA spokeswoman said in 2019.
The medical board was also pursuing professional misconduct claims against the doctor before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Kyriacou surrendered his medical licence in August 2017 and has been unable to practise since.
In August 2019, The Age reported Dr Kyriacou had been found unfit to stand trial as he was not capable of giving evidence or briefing his lawyer after independent neurological testing confirmed he suffered from cognitive impairment.
Victims then were told victims that a special hearing would proceed that could only make a qualified finding of guilt that did not amount to a conviction.
Had that hearing proceeded, Dr Kyriacou was unlikely to have been jailed if found responsible, but could have been sent for supervision at Thomas Embling Hospital.
Kyriacou surrendered his medical licence in August 2017 and has been unable to practise since