in

Melbourne man jumps over bollards placed by Daniel Andrew’s government to stop skatepark usage

Spread the love


A mountain bike rider living in locked-down Melbourne has filmed himself jumping over graffitied bollards at a closed skate park while raising his middle finger to the Dan Andrews government. 

Furious Melburnians vandalised the huge blocks of cement barring kids from using the bike track at the Glen Iris skate park in the city, while others got creative, using the barriers as a part of their daily exercise.

The Andrews government at the beginning of this month sensationally backflipped on its children’s playground ban after a major backlash from the community, but decided to keep skate parks and bike tracks closed.

Chief health officer Brett Sutton later made the embarrassing admission that kid’s playground’s pose little Covid transmission risk to children – with no recorded cases in Australia.

Good try Victorian government. Better luck closing the skatepark next time 😘✌🏼

Posted by Connor Griffin on Sunday, September 12, 2021

Connor Griffin filmed himself jumping over the bollards place by the Victorian government, before raising his middle finger at the barriers (pictured, Mr Griffin jumping the bollard)

Connor Griffin filmed himself jumping over the bollards place by the Victorian government, before raising his middle finger at the barriers (pictured, Mr Griffin jumping the bollard)

He clarified the rule despised by Victorian parents was actually brought in to stop adults mingling at the sites as their young ones play. 

On Sunday, Connor Griffin filmed his best tricks at the Glen Iris park, using the massive bollards as a springboard, kicking off and stalling his bike on them while doing some impressive stunts. 

‘Good try Victorian government. Better luck closing the skate park next time,’ the video was captioned.

The footage finishes with Mr Griffin raising his middle finger at the Premier’s attempts to block usage.

Graffiti spray-painted in black across the barriers reads ‘sack Dan,’ ‘set our children free’ and ‘Victoria under house arrest’.

Bollards are seen in Glen Iris skate park (pictured) in Melbourne to stop youngsters from using the park - despite the extremely low risk of Covid transmission outdoors

Bollards are seen in Glen Iris skate park (pictured) in Melbourne to stop youngsters from using the park – despite the extremely low risk of Covid transmission outdoors

Furious protestors have put graffiti in the skate park (pictured), angry about the draconian lockdown rule

Furious protestors have put graffiti in the skate park (pictured), angry about the draconian lockdown rule

Opposition James Newbury (pictured) called the decision to install bollards 'stupid'

Opposition James Newbury (pictured) called the decision to install bollards ‘stupid’

Opposition MP James Newbury told Daily Mail Australia it’s time Premier Dan Andrew’s gave the long-suffering youth of Victoria a break.

‘Talk about a stupid decision by Daniel Andrews,’ he said.

‘Kids have no date for getting back to school and they need to get out for fresh air and exercise.

‘Banning our kids access to things like bike tracks, is stupid, and that’s the politest way that I can put it.’

Daily Mail Australia have reached out to the Premier’s office for comment on the matter.

Playgrounds, basketball courts, skate parks and exercise equipment in metropolitan Melbourne were closed from August 16

Playgrounds, basketball courts, skate parks and exercise equipment in metropolitan Melbourne were closed from August 16

HOW PLAYGROUNDS WERE SHUT IN 2020 

Professor Sutton closed playgrounds in July last year too. 

Victoria had recorded a Covid-19 case on June 27 and it quickly blew out to be Victoria’s largest outbreak source at the time. 

Just days after that initial case was declared, Mr Andrews closed down playgrounds across most of Melbourne’s west. 

By August 2, the premier began enforcing his first curfew on people leaving their homes between 8pm to 5am each night, with exceptions for work or medical care and caregiving. 

Playgrounds would remain roped-off for the remainder of Melbourne’s cold winter until mid-September.

Last year children’s playgrounds were shut for months during Victoria’s second deadly wave, which killed more than 800 after leaking out of his own bungled hotel quarantine scheme.

‘My advice on playgrounds originally was because we saw that people were using it as a loophole to have de facto meetings across households, neighbourhoods, families,’ Professor Sutton said.

‘In allowing playgrounds to open again, absolutely with the wellbeing and considerations of kids in mind, but we’re going to have QR codes as a mandated requirement.’

Melbourne parents had pleaded with Premier Daniel Andrews to introduce such a scheme back on August 16, when he announced for the second time the only avenue of enjoyment many kids had would be banned.

Their calls had fallen on deaf ears at the time as Professor Sutton claimed he was acting on evidence that playgrounds were a serious transmission risk to children who played at them.

‘We are investigating a potential transmission in a playground,’ he claimed.

‘It is not definitive and maybe we will not be able to make it definitive but it looks like there has been transmission in a playground.’

He backed-up the cruel plan with news the ‘Delta’ variant of Covid-19 had been spread between children walking home from school. 

‘We have also seen transmission between students who were not in classes together who did not have any other face to face interaction other than sharing a walk home, didn’t play together, don’t live together, didn’t have classes together,” he said.

The next day, playgrounds across Melbourne were taped off under threat of serious fines if children attempted to use them.

A council worker is seen closing off a swing set at Flagstaff Gardens in Melbourne on August 17

A council worker is seen closing off a swing set at Flagstaff Gardens in Melbourne on August 17

Presidents Park in Werribee was taped off with warning signs declaring it a danger zone

Presidents Park in Werribee was taped off with warning signs declaring it a danger zone

Mr Newbury said the Victorian government eventually buckled on their decision after ‘intense public pressure’.

‘But, to add insult to injury, he has kept bike tracks and skate parks closed,’ he said. 

Meanwhile, Victoria recorded 423 new cases in the past 24 hours to midnight, with 149 of the cases linked to known cases and outbreaks. 

Two people were reported to have died with Covid-19. The deaths bring the toll from the current outbreak to eight deaths. 

Today’s number is a slight drop on the 445 local cases announced yesterday, while Victoria now has 4,038 active cases. 

This graph shows the progression of Victoria's Covid outbreaks as the state announced 423 new cases on Wednesday

This graph shows the progression of Victoria’s Covid outbreaks as the state announced 423 new cases on Wednesday





Source link

What do you think?

Written by bourbiza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Trump slams Facebook for allowing some users to skirt publishing rules

Wife of US Marine killed in Kabul gives birth to baby and names her after father will never meet