By Sam Baker for MailOnline
Royal aides have been left stunned by the ‘sheer nerve’ of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after they asked for a meeting with the Queen.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly hoping to introduce the Queen to their daughter Lilibet, who was born earlier this year on June 4.
However, a source told The Sun that no meeting has been agreed upon yet and that it had left Royal aides ‘shocked’ given the pair’s interview with Oprah just months ago.
The source told the publication: ‘Harry and Meghan have made this offer but a lot of people are shocked by the sheer nerve of it. They may genuinely want to see the Queen but it’s breath-taking given what they’ve put her through this year.
Royal aides have been left stunned by the ‘sheer nerve’ of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle after they asked for a meeting with the Queen
‘Her Majesty’s staff have not responded so far. In fact there has also been discussion about Christmas — and whether an invitation should be sent to Harry and Meghan, after they spurned one last year.
‘The Queen is still very fond of Harry, and would love to see Lilibet and her brother Archie.’
MailOnline has approached Buckingham Palace and representatives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for comment.
Earlier this year, the Sussexes announced the birth of their second child together and revealed she has the middle name Diana, to honour her ‘beloved late grandmother’.
Harry and Meghan both took ‘several months off work’ to care for Lilibet after she was born, and their eldest son Archie was reportedly ‘excited’ and ‘very happy’ about the arrival of his little sister.
The olive branch from Harry and Meghan comes as furious palace aides are hunting for the source behind the ‘deeply disturbing’ leak of top secret plans that are to be enacted when the Queen dies.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly hoping to introduce the Queen to their daughter Lilibet, who was born earlier this year on June 4
The details of ‘Operation London Bridge’ including ministerial protocols and funeral arrangements were published yesterday morning in a move described by Whitehall insiders as ‘concerning, unnecessary and upsetting’.
The plans for the huge operation were only shared with a small group of people and reveals that all Whitehall flags must be lowered to half mast within ten minutes followed by a TV address and UK tour by Prince Charles and a pre-planned memorial service at St Paul’s Cathedral for ministers that will be made to look ‘spontaneous’.
Their exposure has provoked fury at Buckingham Palace, with sources saying there is now a ‘major appetite’ to discover who the mole is what their motivation was.
‘It is deeply disturbing that such private information, which is not only deeply personal to the Queen but also has widespread security implications, has been revealed,’ a royal source told The Mirror.
However, a source told The Sun that no meeting has been agreed upon yet and that it had left Royal aides ‘shocked’ given the pair’s interview with Oprah just months ago
It is believed the plans were leaked after being updated during the pandemic.
Whitehall bosses are also believed to be on the warpath to track down the source and could narrow down the possible culprits by examining which version of the documents were released.
A Cabinet Office source said: ‘We will look into which version has emerged and be able to determine whether this dereliction of duty requires a formal government investigation.
It sets up a potentially uncomfortable meeting for the Prime Minister tomorrow, as Boris and Carrie Johnson will be meeting Her Majesty this weekend at Balmoral despite courtiers’ mounting concerns over Covid. It will also be the first time their 16-month-old son, Wilfred, meets the monarch.
Buckingham Palace has declined to comment – but a royal insider said officials are ‘not happy’, adding: ’We are not talking about this. It is a matter for the Government.’