Two more teenagers have lost their lives in separate stabbings on another bloody night of violence on London’s streets.
A 15-year-old boy was stabbed to death in Woolwich, southeast London just after 5pm on Monday in the latest horrific attack.
Hours later, a 16-year-old boy died just before midnight after being stabbed in Vauxhall, south London.
The total number of teenagers murdered in the capital this year now stands at 21, with three dying in the last five days.
In the whole of last year, 17 teenagers lost their lives.
Pictured: Emergency services set up a cordon at the scene after a teenage boy was stabbed to death in a horrific attack on Woolwich New Road, south east London, yesterday afternoon
Forensic teams carry out their investigations after a teenage boy was stabbed in Woolwich
The 15-year-old was killed in front of horrified onlookers in the daylight attack yesterday.
Pictures from the scene showed a large police cordon with multiple police and ambulance vehicles and it is understood the air ambulance was also called to the scene.
Images from the scene also appeared to show members of the public holding up sheets to cover the victim from view as paramedics desperately tried to save his life but, despite their best efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 15-year-old was arrested on suspicion of the Woolwich murder after presenting at a south London hospital with a non life-threatening stab wound.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: ‘Detectives have launched a murder investigation following a stabbing on Woolwich New Road, SE18.
‘Police were called at 5.23pm on Monday to reports of a stabbing.
Police officers stand outside a nearby Tesco branch after it was evacuated yesterday evening
‘Officers attended and found a 15-year-old boy suffering from a stab injury. They immediately provided first aid prior to the arrival of the London Ambulance Service.
‘Despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene at 6.08pm. His next of kin has been informed. Formal identification has not taken place.
‘A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
‘Police were subsequently called to a south London hospital after a 15-year-old boy [A] self-presented with a stab wound; his injury is not believed to be life-threatening.
‘He has been arrested on suspicion of murder. Homicide detectives from the Specialist Crime Command are leading the investigation.’
Following the attack, a local Tesco branch was evacuated before armed police barred the entrance and raided the store ‘in search of the suspect’, My London reported.
Medics rushed to the scene last night after reports a 16-year-old boy had been stabbed but he was pronounced dead at the scene in Lambeth. Pictured: police on scene this morning
Det Ch Insp Perry Benton, of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: ‘We know that there were a lot of people around at the time who may have witnessed the events leading up to this incident.
‘I’m sure people will have mobile phone footage from the scene and, if they believe it could assist our investigation, I would urge them to pass it on to us.
‘One arrest has been made, but our enquiries are still at an early stage so I would ask anyone who knows anything about the motive for this attack, or who was responsible, to contact us immediately.’
Supt Petra Lazar, of South East BCU, said: ‘It is shocking and extremely saddening that a teenage boy has lost his life as the result of knife crime.
‘My thoughts at this time are with the family of the boy who has died.
‘This incident will understandably cause worry and concern to local residents and I would like to reassure them my officers are supporting the murder detectives in every way we can. Increased patrols will be carried out in the area over the next few days.’
An investigation has been launched following the fatal stabbing of a teenager in Lambeth
Two teens charged with murder after fatal stabbing of 16-year-old
Two people have been charged with murder over the stabbing death of a 16-year-old boy in south London last week, police said.
Metropolitan Police officers were called just before 1am on Thursday to reports of a disturbance at a residential address on Bracken Avenue in Shrublands in Croydon.
A 16-year-old male was found inside the address suffering from stab wounds and despite the efforts of emergency services, he was pronounced dead just after 1.30am.
The victim has been identified as Camron Smith from Shrublands.
Police on Monday charged two males, an unnamed 15-year-old who was arrested in Brighton, East Sussex, and 18-year-old Romain La Pierre of Amber Grove, Cricklewood, with Camron’s murder and an additional charge of robbery.
Both have been remanded in police custody and will appear at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
Police said investigations are ongoing and have urged anyone with information to call the incident room on 0208 721 4961, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
‘A crime scene is in place and officers remain in the area. Enquiries continue.’
A section 60 Order has been authorised from 7pm last night until 10am this morning for Woolwich Common, Woolwich Riverside and Glyndon wards.
The second murder happened just over six hours later when police were called at around 11.45pm last night to reports that a teenager had been stabbed in Oval Place, SW8.
A Scotland Yard spokesman: ‘Officers attended along with London Ambulance Service. The 16-year-old male was pronounced dead at the scene.
‘The boy’s next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specialist officers. Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.
‘There has been no arrest at this early stage.’
In response to the latest killing yesterday, Matthew Pennycook, the Labour MP for Greenwich and Woolwich, wrote on Twitter: ‘Woolwich is grieving the senseless murder of yet another young man on our streets this evening. Another family devastated.
‘The promise of another life extinguished. I urge anyone with any information to come forward to the police.’
And Greenwich council leader Dan Thorpe said the ‘senseless murder’ had ‘devastated a family’.
He said: ‘The thoughts and prayers of everyone in @RoyalGreenwich tonight are with the family of the young person whose life has been lost in Woolwich.
‘This senseless murder has devastated a family and our community holds them in our thoughts and prayers tonight.
‘We are working closely with MPS Greenwich to find those responsible and bring them to justice as quickly as possible. If you know anything at all please get in touch with them. Please do not share on social media.’
Witnesses who are yet to speak with police regarding the Oval murder or anyone with information are asked to call 101 ref 8532/05jul. To remain anonymous please contact Crimestoppers.