in

New York Times ‘KILLED expose on Hollywood bigwig Scott Rudin’s abusive behavior last year’

Spread the love


The New York Times has been accused of ‘killing’ an expose of abusive and bullying Hollywood producer Scott Rudin, who was one of the biggest advertisers in the paper’s Arts and Leisure section.

The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday claimed that the paper had a story with named sources in early 2020.

The story was timed to run before the February 20, 2020 opening of West Side Story at the Broadway Theatre – a $15 million show, produced by Rudin.

It was due to run on the weekend of the Oscars, February 9, 2020.

But the story was held.

Scott Rudin is pictured with Bette Midler and the cast of Hello, Dolly! at the 2017 Tony awards. The producer of stage and screen is now 'stepping back' from his productions after a devastating expose in April accusing him of bullying and physical abuse

Scott Rudin is pictured with Bette Midler and the cast of Hello, Dolly! at the 2017 Tony awards. The producer of stage and screen is now ‘stepping back’ from his productions after a devastating expose in April accusing him of bullying and physical abuse

Rudin is pictured with Ethan Coen (left) and Joel Coen at the Oscars, having won with No Country for Old Men in 2008

Rudin is pictured with Ethan Coen (left) and Joel Coen at the Oscars, having won with No Country for Old Men in 2008 

Protesters angered at Rudin's behavior march down Broadway in New York City in April

Protesters angered at Rudin’s behavior march down Broadway in New York City in April

A year later, in April 2021, The Hollywood Reporter would publish its own expose of Rudin – the first to do so. The magazine branded him ‘unhinged’ and ‘a monster’.

Rudin – whose films have earned 151 Oscar nominations and 23 wins, and whose stage shows have earned 17 individual Tony Awards – announced after the magazine’s story that he was ‘stepping back’ from his business. 

He has produced films including Lady Bird, No Country for Old Men, School of Rock, The Truman Show and Social Network. 

The New York Times did eventually publish its own expose of Rudin. 

Yet the industry magazine on Wednesday asked why they had sat on the story for over a year, and lost their own scoop.  

Caroline Rugo, who began working for Rudin as an executive coordinator in the fall of 2018, spoke to The Hollywood Reporter, said she had spoken to The New York Times the year before.

Josh Arnon, who worked for Rudin from October 2018 to August 2019, said he talked for hours with a New York Times correspondent for an exposé ‘that never came to pass.’ 

Arnon said: ‘I was not told at the time why it was killed.’  

The New York Times have denied being influenced by advertising concerns in their decision not to run their own February 2020 expose of Rudin. He was eventually 'outed' in April 2021

The New York Times have denied being influenced by advertising concerns in their decision not to run their own February 2020 expose of Rudin. He was eventually ‘outed’ in April 2021

Rudin is pictured with Jeff Bridges at the premiere of True Grit in New York in 2010

Rudin is pictured with Jeff Bridges at the premiere of True Grit in New York in 2010

A New York Times spokesperson says the paper does not comment on unpublished stories.

The magazine said Rudin was a significant advertiser, with the total spend at around $3 million a year. 

The Times spokesperson said: ‘The advertising department is entirely separate from the newsroom and has no control or influence over any news coverage.’   

The Times spokesman told Fox News that any allegation that the paper spiked its Rudin reporting is ‘patently false’ and that ‘no outlet has done more pioneering work on the subject.’

‘The Times has a 170-year long history of independent journalism,’ said Jordan Cohen, the executive director of communications for the Times. 

‘We published this investigation in spite of legal threats from Harvey Weinstein, whose company Miramax was an advertiser. 

‘We also published this investigation when China threatened to retaliate by blocking access to our journalism. We’ve been blocked in China since 2012.’ 

Rudin is seen with Chris Rock on the set of Finally Famous in May 2014

Rudin is seen with Chris Rock on the set of Finally Famous in May 2014

Among the allegations was a seeming pattern of Rudin throwing objects at his staffers, including a glass bowl and a baked potato.

The 62-year-old had a habit of kicking people out of moving cars, The Hollywood Reporter said. 

Two employees reportedly had to go to the hospital as a result of his outbursts. 

Rudin allegedly slammed an Apple computer monitor on one staffer’s hand, which cut them due to the broken glass from the shattered screen.

Another staffer had to go to the hospital due to workplace stress issues.

Rudin’s behavior appears to have been an open secret in the entertainment industry, and reports of abusive and violent behavior have appeared for years, though Rudin’s position in the industry was undiminished until the latest exposé was published.

Rudin is accused of being verbally and physically abusive to staff. He's known for throwing things and sent two staffers to the hospital, one for stress and one whom he dropped a computer monitor on their hand

Rudin is accused of being verbally and physically abusive to staff. He’s known for throwing things and sent two staffers to the hospital, one for stress and one whom he dropped a computer monitor on their hand

Rudin announced on April 17 that he was stepping back from ‘active participation’ on all his Broadway productions in response to the story.

The detail-free language left many theater insiders wondering what that would look like in practice, and if Rudin would still stand to benefit financially from the productions. 

Later in April, Rudin announced that he was also stepping back from his film and television productions.



Source link

What do you think?

Written by bourbiza

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

China says Great Barrier Reef is ‘in danger’ while smashing its own coral

Manchester City ‘are prepared to wait until NEXT YEAR’ to sign Harry Kane