“I told my family how much I love them, how much I care for them, and just how sorry I was for my decision,” he went on. “Since then, everyone in my family has had me on a close watch against my will.”
He added that he wishes no harm on anyone and does not want sympathy from the former model.
“I just want people to realize that I, too, am human and this was the most inhuman treatment to ever be endured by someone who has seen their decades of hard work, years of building a brand, crumble from one comment,” Costello wrote. “These bullies could’ve reached out to me anytime, but they refused. Instead, they would much rather see me suffer and laugh at my demise.”
The designer’s accusation comes after Teigen faced backlash for resurfaced tweets from 2011 about model Courtney Stodden, who was 16 years old at the time. In one message, Teigen said her “fantasy” was Courtney taking a “dirt nap.”
“Not a lot of people are lucky enough to be held accountable for all their past bulls–t in front of the entire world. I’m mortified and sad at who I used to be. I was an insecure, attention seeking troll,” the Lip Sync Battle co-host wrote in May 2021.
“I am ashamed and completely embarrassed at my behavior but that is nothing compared to how I made Courtney feel,” Teigen said. “I have worked so hard to give you guys joy and be beloved and the feeling of letting you down is nearly unbearable, truly.”
A month later, the cookbook scribe (who exited Mindy Kaling‘s Netflix show in the midst of the controversy) returned to social media with another apology.
“There is simply no excuse for my past horrible tweets,” she wrote on Medium on June 14. “My targets didn’t deserve them. No one does. Many of them needed empathy, kindness, understanding and support, not my meanness masquerading as a kind of casual, edgy humor. I was a troll, full stop. And I am so sorry.”
Her letter was published about five hours before Costello came forward. She did not name either him nor Stodden in her post.